Wednesday 9 September 2015

An Insomniac's Chest

On and off throughout last week and into the weekend, I suffered from insomnia. My first guess was that this was due to a lack of exercise over the past couple of months, and so for the last couple of nights I did some jogging and cycling and that seemed to work. Tonight however (it is now close to daybreak on Wednesday morning) the sleeplessness has returned. I find myself turning over in my mind things both great and small again and again... the washing machine, the cleaning out of the garage I did the other day, Peter Enav's disturbing recommendation of Hillary Clinton, various things Tsai Ing-wen appears to have said which are receiving scant attention in the English-language media... and so on.

Let's go with Hillary Clinton first.

Where to start with this? It's the picture that I feel reluctantly compelled to look at and which is framed by the one aspect of what she is and by the other aspect of her continuity, or rather the fact that she has still not been stopped, after all these years. The terrible sickness in this is not merely the long history of outrageous lies and slurs and attempted deceptions and it does not stop even with thoughts of the specific individuals who have all since lost their lives in horrible ways, but the absence of even any attempt at justice. I could suggest to myself the absence of inculpatory evidence with which to get her convicted of even one of the many crimes of which she is suspected as a reason to let it go, but the gut feeling will not allow this. There are too many points of inference in her history and in the history of how she has been treated all pointing to the same nagging conclusions. It is not, in my opinion, a fact to be ashamed of that western civilization can occasionally facilitate the rise of the odd monster now and again. Suppression of evil is not the chief value. But it is, in my opinion, a thing of indelible shame on western civilization that as monstrous a H.P. Lovecraftian impersonage as she could have survived in public, and so scarcely concealed by the most transparent of lies for so long.

Tsai Ing-wen. Later: my eyes are finally starting to close on me now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is now in place, as of April 2012. Rules:

1) Be aware that your right to say what you want is circumscribed by my right of ownership here.

2) Make your comments relevant to the post to which they are attached.

3) Be careful what you presume: always be prepared to evince your point with logic and/or facts.

4) Do not transgress Blogger's rules regarding content, i.e. do not express hatred for other people on account of their ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.

5) Remember that only the best are prepared to concede, and only the worst are prepared to smear.