Wednesday 16 April 2014

When Our Nine Lives Run Out...

I ought to have posted this last week, but a combination of events and me not feeling like it resulted in me putting it off.

I had taken the cat to the vet on, I think the Monday (March 31st), and the vet called me on the Friday to say she was doing much better - indeed her eyes had all cleared up and she was making noise. However, he advised me to keep her on the IV drip for another few days as she was still too weak.

On the following Tuesday (the 8th) I got another call from the vet to tell me she had died of lung failure. When I asked how old he thought she had been, the vet replied: about seven years old. For how much of that time she had survived by herself on the streets we will never know. I paid off the vet bill for the cat, including the cremation costs, which was at a discounted rate due to the cat being an unfortunate stray.


These were among my last looks at her, already lifted out of the recovery cage and into the little cardboard box for her final journey, eyes cast down with the soul already departed...


I did what I could for her. I just wish other people had done what they could have done for her whilst she was still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is now in place, as of April 2012. Rules:

1) Be aware that your right to say what you want is circumscribed by my right of ownership here.

2) Make your comments relevant to the post to which they are attached.

3) Be careful what you presume: always be prepared to evince your point with logic and/or facts.

4) Do not transgress Blogger's rules regarding content, i.e. do not express hatred for other people on account of their ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.

5) Remember that only the best are prepared to concede, and only the worst are prepared to smear.